Tuesday, May 7, 2013

"May is for Moms" (Link-Up)

I came across a 3 week link-up series all about Mom's. Here is where you can find the original post for the link-up! I have decided to join in! I think it will be fun! The first link-up is a little interview with myself about motherhood!


Here we go...

1. Before you had children, how did you feel about being a mother?
I have always loved, Loved, LOVED kids! I always knew I wanted to be a 'mom.'  I haven't always known what being a mom fully and truly meant, but I always knew I wanted to be one! I always said I wanted a big family (5 kids), but now that number has decreased to 3 kids! Growing up I always wanted to be a dentist and a mom.  I wanted to be the parent who went to work every day and wanted my husband to stay home with the kids. Oh how times changed!  When Ben and I got married we said we would wait 5 years to have our first baby...5 years? Were we crazy?!? It wasn't even a year into being married that I was ready and was really wanting to become a MOM! It was the best decision we ever made! I couldn't imagine myself being a working mom, but I also never really thought I would be a stay at home mom, but it is the best thing ever and it is what works for our family!

2. Since becoming a mother, what is something that has happened that you never thought would?
Two things come to mind. The first thing is my child have meltdowns in public.  I remember before I was a mom or when I was pregnant and I would see parents with their children at the store and they would be screaming and a mess.  I always thought, my kid will never act like that.  I always thought I will make sure it is the appropriate time to take my child out, not when they are tired or hungry, etc.  Wow! Does being a mom change that perspective?! It is very difficult to schedule going to the store or to run other errands always around your childs schedule.  And, even if you do go when you think it is the right time, you never know when your child is going to have a meltdown or be moody.  These times are becoming more frequent as Brooklyn gets older! The second thing that comes to mind that I never thought would happen would be my child throwing up on me, multiple times in a short time frame! I don't know why I thought this would never happen, I just didn't.  And, there is absolutely nothing you can do to prepare yourself for it!

3. Is being a mother less difficult, more difficult or exactly how difficult you imagined?
My quick response is exactly how difficult I imagined it would be.  But, the more I think about it there have been times when it has been more difficult.  I think working with children every day since before I can remember really helped me know what goes on inside the home and all different ages.  I have experienced a lot being around other kids.  When I was pregnant everyone told me I would be such a great mother because I have so much experience and I know what can happen and what kids are capable of doing and how they can act.  My response to them was always "thanks, but the one thing that is going to be different with my baby is I am always on call and don't get to 'leave' them like I do the kids I work with."  This is exactly what has happened.  I didn't know what is was like to watch a baby on 2-3 hours of sleep.  I was not prepared for that.  I did not know what it was like to be with the same child day in and day out with no break.  I love my daughter dearly but sometimes momma needs a break!!

4. What is your fondest memory of being a mother, so far?
Wow! This is a tough question! The first thing that comes to mind is the first time Brooklyn said "mama" and was saying it in the correct context! That melted my heart! A close second is childbirth! That was the day I truly became a mother and it was the best day of my life! I love looking at pictures from Brooklyn's birth and I cry every time! What a special, happy day!



5. If your children only learn one life lesson from you, what do you hope it is? 
To be honest! Honesty can get you a long way in this world! An honest person is a true person and a person with confidence! Sometimes it is hard to be honest, but that is a part of life.  The reward for being honest always outweighs the consequences of lying.  Be honest!!





I can't wait to look back on this next May and answer the questions again, but instead add into the question "with 2 children"! Things will get interesting when there are 2 little ones to take care of!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment