Thursday, June 6, 2013

First week of PDO

Brooklyn started PDO (Parent's Day Out) this week! The fall I wanted her to be able to go somewhere that was special to her and someplace the baby doesn't go.  When I signed her up for Fall PDO they told me about their summer session.  It is just the month of June on Tues/Thurs only.  You can choose mornings only or full day.  The morning session is 9:15am-12pm.  Full day is 9:15am-3pm.  I knew that mornings would work best for us! So, I enrolled her for summer hoping to get her adjusted and ready for fall!

I had been dreading drop-off for weeks.  I knew it was going to to bed.  Keep in mind, Brooklyn has been at home with me for the first 18 months of her life.  The only people to watch Brooklyn are her grandmas.  This was a pretty big deal, not only for her but for me too!

I had been telling Brooklyn for the week prior that she was going to go to school, and her teachers name is Mrs. Patty.  I would tell her mommy is going to go bye-bye but you will stay at school and play with new friends and Mrs. Patty.  She seemed to understand a little and would say "Pa" for Patty! So cute! She also started saying "school", "mama...bye-bye".  I was happy she was somewhat understanding!
A special first day of school donut!!

First day came, I was nervous all morning leading up to drop-off.  When we got in parking lot I told Brooklyn she had to leave "lovie" and paci in the car and she could have them after school! She didn't mind leaving them in the car.

She would not cooperate with the chalkboard!


She is obsessed with the letter "O". Anytime she sees it, she has to point it out! Silly!



We walked in, I signed in, opened her classroom door.  Brooklyn just stood there, a little confused, nervous and worried.  I got her to walk all the way in and say hi to everyone! She looked around.  I hung up her bag on her hook, asked her for hugs and kisses, which she didn't give, she went over to the teacher who had fun toys and I walked out the door.  I felt guilty for walking out without her seeing me leave, but I knew it was best.  The minute I walked out the door I started crying.  I was a mess!

I went to get gas and went to the bank.  I called Ben to tell him how drop-off went.  You could tell he was worried/sad also! I decided to go to Target-retail therapy would make me feel better, right?! I got a Starbucks drink and a Target cart and went about my business! I was in Target for over an hour and spent $200.  OOPS!

I went to pick Brooklyn up a little before noon.  She was so happy to see me and I was so happy to see her! I asked the teacher how she did, Patty said she did great! There were a few times when they were in the big playroom, and if Brooklyn was alone playing she would randomly start crying...weird!?! I don't know what that was all about.  Other than that, Patty said she was great!

I was happy...but knew the second day of drop-off was going to be worse than the first...and I was right!!

This morning (Thursday) we did our normal routine at home, I told Brooklyn she was going to school today and we loaded up and headed that way! Brooklyn left lovie and paci in the car and we walked right in! I signed her in, opened the door, in Brooklyn went with a big smile on her face! I hung her bag up and asked for hugs and kisses.  She gave me big hugs and big kisses! The assistant teacher was playing with balls, Brooklyn had a big smile on her face and ran over to her! At that exact moment Mrs. Patty said "I love it when they come in with big smiled on their faces!" OOPS! Mrs. Patty spoke too soon! As she was saying that I was walking toward the door and right when Mrs. Patty got done saying that Brooklyn saw me at the door and ran over crying and screaming "Mama".  UGH!! Mama guilt at it's finest! I told Brooklyn I loved her, Mrs. Patty picked her up and out the door I went while listening to my child cry and scream "Mama".  Instant tears for me! Wow! That was bad.  I cried all the way home!

I got a lot done while at home by myself.  It was weird.  I kept finding myself being quiet and wanting to look at the video monitor.  I kept thinking Brooklyn was home and was just asleep!

I went to pick Brooklyn up.  This time I got there right at noon, on Tuesday I was there a few minutes early and was the first mom to pick her up! I walked in the door, didn't hear any crying and was happy! In the 30 seconds it took me to sign her out and open her classroom door I could hear her crying and saying "mama". OH NO! My baby has been crying off and on all morning!

I walked in and she was happy to see me! She stopped crying and started playing with toys.  The teachers told me that she just started crying when other moms were coming to pick up their kids.  Brooklyn is too smart, and she saw other kids leaving and was wondering where I was.  I think I will pick-up a few minutes early from now on!

I was talking with the teachers and asked how she did, they said she didn't cry for long at all this morning! She loved playing outside-of course! While I was talking Brooklyn was just in my arms crying! I don't know why! I honestly think she was mad at me or remembered that I left her that morning and her emotions were coming back! Silly girl! I asked her to stop crying and say "bye" to Mrs. Patty and to blow her a kiss.  Brooklyn immediately stopped crying said bye and blew her kisses! That made me feel good, I think she likes Mrs. Patty!

I didn't plan on this becoming a short novel, but there is the re-cap of Brooklyn's first week of PDO! Drop-off can only get better, right?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment