Thursday, August 29, 2013

First Day of PDO

Today was the start of the Fall Parent's Day Out session! Last week we went to Meet the Teacher.  Brooklyn has the same teacher as she did for the summer session she did in June. Ms. Patty is her name and she is wonderful! On the way to meet the teacher I kept telling Brooklyn that I was going to stay with her and was not going to leave her that day.  She seemed to understand, but right when we walked in the door she started crying! Once she realized I wasn't leaving, she played and played and ended up crying again because she didn't want to leave.  Ms. Patty told me she wishes I could be a fly on the wall, because in June, Brooklyn would cry after I dropped her off but 5 minutes later she was playing and perfectly fine! That made me feel so much better!

For the past week, I have been talking about "school" and going to see Ms. Patty every day to let Brooklyn know it was coming up! She would get excited and say "play", "toys", "Patty".  I was getting excited for her!

We actually met up with two boys in her class, Pierce and Colton, last week for them to play together to help make it feel like they knew someone in class!

Brooklyn woke up about 30-45 minutes earlier than normal and all she wanted was for me to hold her.  I think she knew what was going on!
We got dressed and took pictures at home with her chalkboard!



She sat in the chair and said "no picture"!

Love her new backpack!


She really seemed and acted excited to go to school! I was excited that she was excited! We arrived at school and she got out, but slowly walked to the building.  Several times she stopped and said "no"!  I knew then that it wasn't going to be good! I snapped one picture of her walking in and then she wanted me to carry her!
Right before we walked in the door she started to cry.  I stepped into the grass to hold her and tell her it would be ok and asked her if she could be a big girl and not cry.  She said "OK", so we went in! I signed in and made her walk into her classroom.  She immediately started crying.  I calmly told her it was alright and we took her backpack off and hung it on her hook.  I gave her a big hug and kiss and told her I love her, all while holding tears back.  At this time I am walking out the door, she is crying and hugging on Ms. Patty! I cried all the way to the car and all the way home. 

Once I got home and started cleaning I didn't think much about it! Colton's mom, Courtney, hadn't dropped him off yet, so I text her and asked if Brooklyn was crying when she dropped Colton off and she said NO! She told me she was playing with toys and perfectly fine! That made my mommy heart so much better!

I couldn't wait to go pick her up! I walked in her classroom and she had her back to me sitting on the floor playing.  I just stood there and watched her for 2 minutes, while talking to the helper teacher, Ms. Jennifer.  Brooklyn finally turned around and noticed me, and right when she did, she started crying again! I don't know why she does this. My mom said I did the same thing growing up-when she got to daycare to pick me up I would start crying the second I saw my mom.  So funny!

Brooklyn said bye to her friends and teachers and we headed for the car! She was very happy once she stopped crying.  Her teachers said she had a great day! Everyone cried off and on, but it wasn't anything too bad!

Conversations Brooklyn and I had about her day at school:
Me: "What did you do at school today"?
Brooklyn: "Play...toys"
M: "What kind of toys"?
B: "ummm...horsey, kitty, ball, kitchen"

M: "What did you have for a snack"?
B: "Fruit Loops"..."red...yellow...green...blue..."

M: "Did you play outside?"
B: "Yes! Swing. Slide."

I don't know how true her answers are but it is still fun to ask questions and see what her answers are! I love having conversations with her!!

I am looking forward to a fun year of PDO for Brooklyn! I know after a couple of weeks she will run right in and have so much fun and won't miss me at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment