Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Pink Dresser

When planning the nursery, I knew I wanted to do it on the cheap! We spent a good amount of money on Brooklyn's nursery furniture, but we just couldn't do it this time around.  Brooklyn will have her furniture forever, so it works out well! We already had a queen size bed in Molly's room that we had to put in the basement storage, so we went with a simple crib, and someday the queen bed will be back in Molly's room.

Ben has had this dresser since before I knew him.  It has always been in the spare/Molly's room.  I knew that I wanted to use the dresser for Molly's nursery, to help save money and put a good dresser to use! The dresser was actually Ben's younger brother and sisters nursery dresser.  The crib that matches the dresser is the one Brooklyn sleeps in at the lake!

Long story short, I knew I wanted to paint the dresser pink.  After talking with my mom, she said that she could see if her handy man could paint it.  I didn't feel like tackling the task on my own.  The handyman said he could get to it the last week in August.  I wanted everything done by then, so we were pushing the limits.  Another long story short, handyman took on a project that was taking him a lot longer than planned and he wouldn't be able to paint the dresser. 

I was upset, but quickly got over it and my mom and I decided we could tackle the dresser! We gathered our supplies and started one Monday night.  Mom used a liquid sandpaper and got all of the shiny finish off the dresser.  I stood back and watched because that stuff was very strong smelling!

Next, we sanded and primed.  Sanded and primed!

Then, we painted pink! Two coats of pink!


After the pink was on and dried for 24 hours we applied a glossy protective finish!


It all sounds so simple when typing it, but the project took an entire week, working in the evenings from 7-10pm every night! It is truly a labor of love! Molly better love the dresser!

The last thing to do was find hardware.  After searching online I knew the options were going to be slim because the size I needed was 3 1/2 inches for the pulls-who knew that was such an uncommon size-guess it was popular 22+ years ago! Instead of spending a lot of money and custom ordering pulls and knobs I went with one of the three choices the locks and pulls place had.  I don't love them, but I don't hate them-they work and they cost right at $50.  Win-win!




 The Locks and Pulls store let me take a sample home to try it out! Ben and I agreed it would work!



 Ta-Da! (It is so funny how different the pink dresser and aqua walls look in every picture)!
I will NEVER paint a piece of furniture again, but I am happy that mom and I tackled this project! It has a little more meaning now! It is not perfect at all, but it is perfect enough for me! I hope Molly agrees!

I will do a full nursery post soon, and try to get all of the aquas and pinks to match and look alike in all the pictures!




No comments:

Post a Comment