Thursday, May 19, 2011

4 years ago today...


4 years ago today it was my 21st birthday, wow how time flies!! My dad rented a party bus for me (a decision he still regrets to this day) and let me invite friends to join in on the birthday celebration! The week leading up to my birthday my dad would call me every day and ask me to invite Ben Brunker to my party.  (Side notes: 1. My dad and Ben work together.  2. The summer prior at a Goetze function at a Royals game Ben and I started talking and he wanted to buy me a beer in the stadium but I turned him down because I was not 21 yet.)   At first I didn't know why my dad wanted me to invite Ben so bad, then my dad finally told me that if Ben came he could buy me a beer for the first time since I would be 21.  I kept telling my dad 'no' and told him that I didn't know Ben well enough to pick up the phone, call him and invite him to the party.  Especially a party where he wouldn't know anyone.  So, long story short, my 21st birthday night rolls around and we are on the Plaza at Grand Faloon.  My dad's cell phone rings and he brings it to me and says 'Ben Brunker is calling...'  before he could finish his sentence I grabbed the phone from my dads hand and answered the phone.  Ben told me that he was at a buddies house and wanted to know where we would be in 30 minutes and he would meet us there.  So, about 30 minutes later I was outside the Faloon, getting a breath of fresh air (I had had too much too drink already), when Ben walks up.  At first I didn't know it was him (mind you-I have only really seen him in person one or two times), and as he was approaching me I finally realized that it was him.  I started screaming and then jumped on him and gave him a kiss. The party then got back on the party bus to head to a new destination, but before the bus left the Plaza my dad had to end the party early because I passed out.  The funny thing about all of this is Ben's reasoning on why he came to the Grand Faloon in the first place.  Ben was actually calling my dad that night to tell him that he was not going to be able to make it (I didn't even know that my dad took the liberty to invite Ben himself).  Ben had been out of town on business and just got back that evening.  When he called my dad to tell him he wouldn't make it Ben was actually laying on his couch watching tv.  But, since I answered the phone Ben was quick on his feet to tell me he would be there soon, so he got off the couch and showered and got ready and came to my 21st birthday and the rest is history....

No comments:

Post a Comment